I dozed fitfully until 7h00, and then a strange smell began to tickle my nose. J had stopped to nap on the road home, so I was the first to discover not a fallen picture frame but an exploded bottle of kefir water.
All that was left of the bottle in its original location was the base.
I thank the Lord and prayed in gratitude all day as I cleaned shards and glass powder from all over our 24m2 kitchen that the explosion had happened when everyone was safely in bed. It very seriously could have been lethal; the largest pieces were projected just past our dining table, 4m away from where the bottle stood.
I am not sure what happened. I always respect the headspace when carbonating beverages through fermentation. My hypothesis is that I was using a glass bottle from the French equivalent of a dollar store, and perhaps it was intended to be more decorative than useful.
We have now moved our kefir bottles to the inside of a cabinet.
If you ferment drinks, too, please be careful!!!