Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Welcome home

Sunday, the day of our departure, began in true Faure fashion, meaning we had not yet packed our bags for our return to Egypt. However, we got everything done and arrived at the airport in plenty of time to enjoy a coffee with my mother- and brother-in-law. Our flight to Rome was uneventful, but after that things took a different turn.

An electrical storm grounded several flights, ours included, because the planes could not be refueled while there was lightning. Instead of leaving Rome at 21:50, we flew out at half past midnight. Sprout did not sleep during the wait, but she wasn't too bad. She did doze off on the plane but woke about 20 min before landing, screaming, "No! No, no!" as she is sometimes prone to do. We finally got her calmed down and interested in the brightly lit delta below.

We arrived at our hotel at 4 a.m. and were woken by the cleaning personnel at 9 because we hadn't thought to put out the "do not disturb" sign. Oh well. Up we got and breakfast we had with just enough time to repack our things before J's colleague showed up (early) to take us home.

Said colleague told us there was a 3-truck, 20-car pile up on our road and we'd need to take a different route home. He then proceeded to take the exact same road, resulting in our drive lasting over an hour and a half instead of 45 minutes, tops. We also had the joy of seeing a fight. In typical Egyptian fashion, the drivers had turned the 3-lane road into 6 lanes and were jockeying for passing room to get through the mess faster. A pickup hit the back fender of a car, and the car's driver and passenger jumped out and began to pummel the pickup driver.  He made it out only a little bruised but no less slowed (cautious) because he caught up with us several kilometers down the road.

On the upside, the weather is much cooler than it was at October's end last year. It is a relief not to have to turn on the AC.

So home again, thankfully safe and thankfully much more full of energy than I was when we left.  Tomorrow is going to be a busy day, cleaning and getting things in order. The dust was not on holiday while we were and the house looks like it hasn't been cleaned in a year, I kid you not....

How are all of you doing?


( 10 comments — Leave a comment )
Oct. 9th, 2013 06:14 pm (UTC)
-_- Oi. Well ... Glad about the cooler weather, anyway!

Here, it's been all website designing and work! With the occasional apple now and then.
Oct. 11th, 2013 07:36 pm (UTC)
It is soooooooo nice not to have to worry about air conditioning!

Occasional apples are always good. :D
(Deleted comment)
Oct. 11th, 2013 07:36 pm (UTC)
It was good reading your update!
Oct. 10th, 2013 01:53 am (UTC)
Sorry about the travel delays but glad you made it to Cairo, eventually.

Yay! for cooler weather.

Hope the cleaning was a breeze.
Oct. 11th, 2013 07:37 pm (UTC)
*nods,* safe and sound, that is the important thing.

The cleaning is not yet finished. :-/
Oct. 10th, 2013 07:03 am (UTC)
Ugh! What a horrible journey! Glad you made it there safely...
Oct. 11th, 2013 07:37 pm (UTC)
Ha! There are many worse travel stories, and I'm sure you have your share of them to tell!
Oct. 11th, 2013 03:09 pm (UTC)
Hope you will have a cool and quiet time back in Egypt. I'm back home from my visit to Oregon, contemplating perhaps partaking in NaNoWriMo this year.
Oct. 11th, 2013 07:38 pm (UTC)
A trip to Oregon sounds lovey.

I wish I could plan to do NaNoWriMo, but I think think it would be setting myself up for failure.
( 10 comments — Leave a comment )


wayfaring wordhack
The Wayfarer

Latest Month

July 2019


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner