The Wayfarer (mnfaure) wrote,
The Wayfarer

The Faures* are no longer two but three

(*When we say our name for non-Francophones, we often simplify things by pronouncing it as "four") 

Home from the hospital with our baby girl, a 7.29 lb, 19.5" bundle of pure joy.

At 22:22 on Oct 21, my water broke, and off we rushed to the hospital. Soёlie Anne was born 5 hrs and 50 minutes later on Oct. 22...and to think that the midwife, after examining me, told Julien he might want to go home because the birth was not going to happen that night.

Thank goodness he didn't listen!

The midwives moved me from the examination room to the prep room and left Julien and me to rest as best we could, which wasn't very well because I began vomiting with every other contraction.  After two hours of that, I asked Julien to get the midwife to check my cervix again and to give me a guessimate of how much time I had left. When she told us I was only at a four and that I had 6 hours at least of dilation ahead of me and then two more for the baby to move into place, I cracked and asked for the epidural.  I knew that with the constant vomiting and head-to-toe sweats that I was going to be exhausted by the time it came to push.

The midwife transfered us to the birthing room and put me on an IV. She then looked in my file and could not find the anesthesiologist's report. In the meantime, my contractions were getting worse.  She put the monitoring belt on me and I tried to turn on my side to better deal with the next contraction. The pain was excruciating. Back onto my back I went. Seeing the state I was in, the midwife checked my cervix again. In the space of 30 minutes, I had gone from a 4 to an 8. Too late for the epidural.  Thank the Lord. I didn't want one to begin with and was finally spared it.  "At least another hour," the midwife said as she and her assistant prepared to leave the room.

I didn't want her to go because I felt that the baby was ready to come.  Hoping to get her to stay, I told her I was going to go to the bathroom on myself because I had heard that's what "the moment" feels like, and she got back into position. "Yep, this is it," she agreed. The baby's heartbeat began to slow too much, so the midwife put me on oxygen.  Six minutes of pushing and Soёlie, with a very fish-like wriggle, was amongst us.  Happily the birth was a rapid one because she had the umbilical cord wrapped twice around her neck.

And as soon as I saw her, I couldn't remember what pain I had just been in, I couldn't imagine why I had wanted an epidural. Julien was so proud of me and overwhelmed with joy to see his little girl.  Pure bliss.

Since I started this post with a mention of pronunciation, I'll add another about Soёlie's name. It is three syllables:

ё = pronounced like the E in "egg" or "edge"
lie = Lee

Tags: family, sprout
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

← Ctrl ← Alt
Ctrl → Alt →
← Ctrl ← Alt
Ctrl → Alt →